You know how sometimes, even though you love them, the people in your life who have it more “together” than you can make you feel like a real piece of shit?
Yeah. That happened to me recently.
I was at a coach friend’s house the other day, and her walls were full of these post it notes. I’m taking probably 100 post-its, all arranged in perfect asymmetrical rows, that were splattered with little inspirational affirmations and thoughts and other coachy type things.
And one whole chunk of wall was dedicated to celebrating the past – one note for each thing she had accomplished.
Think reverse bucket list – a backwards look at everything she’d done, all with a neat little checkmark through them.
Now before I go any further, I should say that this girl, she is absolutely adorable. She’s the kindest sweetest chica I know, and my feeling shitty because of her awesome accomplishments and creative post-it note haven has NOTHING to do with her. It’s ALL me. And my own bullshit insecurities. So don’t go thinking I’m a bitch – it’s my own stuff (everyone is entitled to their stuff, right?!)
K, so anyway, I see this list and I immediately get jealous of all the amazing things she’s accomplished. And the fact that she has a gorgeous condo in which to display such amazingness. And the fact that her list of future goals is about 1000x more ambitious than mine.
And all I have is a dirty van and a few scrappy notes in my moleskin about what I wanna get done, eventually, someday, when I’m done being a total hobo and actually feel driven to do something more with my life.
Except, I do have more. I just haven’t quite structured it into a fancy little art project… yet.
The more is all those totally cool things I’ve done before I lived in a van.
Funny how quick we are to write off what we’ve done in the past and only focus on all the things we want for the future.
But when the future seems far away, and we’re feeling anxious about our BIG dreams (and the pressure that can come along with them), celebrating your past is a quick and easy way to reconnect to how amazing you are already, regardless of what the future holds.
So without further ado, I present to you my Reverse Bucket List – a list of all the things I’ve accomplished that I’m super proud of. Some big, others subtle. All which have played a part in crafting me into the super goddess (haha… but seriously) that I am today.
Read. Be inspired. And go create your own list of at lest 50 things. I dare you.
Becca’s Reverse Bucket List
1. Pay my own way through University
2. Go on a solo backpacking trip through Thailand
3. Teach English in another country
4. Bungee jump
5. Jump out of a plane
6. Swim with dolfins
7. Get straight As for a full year
8. Travel to a 3rd world country
9. Experience depression
11. Be in love
12. Be in love with myself
13. Manifest $10,000 (no kidding… should write a post on this soon methinks)
14. Become my own boss
15. Be location independent in my work
16. Ride an elephant
17. Take a 7 month road trip
18. Become a holistic nutritionist
19. Get accepted into a Masters program
20. Save a life
21. Sail with a Swiss polygamist
22. Learn to rock climb
23. Take a 30ft rock climbing fall
24. Lead climb a 12+
25. Make a difference in the world
26. Take a year off to travel
27. Pay off my 14 year student loan in less than 2 years
a guy a shitload of guys out
29. Experience total heartbreak
30. Be a total heartbreaker
31. Work on a farm
32. Work in a stripclub
33. Work at Hooters (stop judging me)
34. Go on a yoga retreat
35. Go on a solo rock climbing adventure
36. Live in a van
37. Make passive income
38. Get paid over $100/hour
39. Cultivate a regular yoga practice
40. Move to another country… alone
41. Travel around Central America for 2 months
42. Hike up an active volcano
42. Lead a workshop for 20+ people
43. Kiss a stranger
44. Learn to tell the hard truth
45. Start an online business
46. Walk my talk
47. Change someone’s life who I’ve never met
48. Pull an all-nighter on the beach and watch the sun come up
49. Get paid to write
50. Take a homeless person shopping
… and the list goes on, and will continue to go on as I continue to take control of my life and live from the place in me that KNOWS I deserve the best damn life I can create.
Now. your turn. Create your own list of 50 accomplishments (nothing is insignificant), and post it here in the comments. Celebrate your past, and get ready to rock your world when you see just how awesome you already ARE.